Quote of the Day

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

FEBRUARY READING UPDATE

So two months into the year and I am doing great on my reading promise to myself. My plan was to read 50 books this year and after only 2 months I have read a grand total of … drumroll, please… 20 books! Woo Hoo! My February reads follow and as always, I am not a book critic so don't expect write-ups like one.

1) Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb – What can I say… Eve and Roarke… is there a better continuing literary romance couple? I started this series a couple of years ago but made the mistake of reading the first three, one right after the other. The problem? They started to sound alike and run into each other. While I loved Eve and Roarke, I knew I needed a break. This one is the fourth in the series and exactly where I left off. I loved reading about this couple… they are not perfect but yet they are perfect for each other. In this one, Eve is investigating the death of a defense attorney who died with a smile on his face when she starts to link it with 2 others that happened only to have a fourth happen in front of her eyes. I pretty much figured out who the “bad guy” was before the end of the book but that’s okay. I love seeing how Robb takes us there. If you haven’t read this series, you need to start. The only problem is that the 24th in the series was just released this past month… I only have 20 more to go!… A-

2) The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson – This one I did as a read-aloud with K2. She had read it before and loved it and wanted to read it with me. Disney World, the happiest place on earth, right? Well, what would happen if the characters came to life after dark? And while Disney movies and characters are generally good, there are some very infamous villains who would not be so nice if they had a taste of power. The Disney Imagineers have come up with a way to fight the “overtakers” who are trying to take control of Disney World and eventually more. The plan is to use 5 local middle school kids and re-create them as holograms to be interactive hosts during the day. However, the real life kids are in for a shock when they find themselves “crossing over” after they fall asleep each night. When they cross over in their sleep, they do so as their holograms and can actually see the Disney characters that are “alive” after the park closes. Walt Disney was afraid that this could happen someday and devised a plan to stop the overtakers, however, he hid the plan in a riddle. The kids first need to solve the riddle to find out where the plans are to stop them. Then once the riddle is solved, they actually need to set a plan in action to stop these villains from taking over. At first, it read like a huge Disney advertisement but I have to admit the story was good! It was interesting to see these young kids as the heroes but they didn’t lose their “kiddish” characteristics. They were still afraid…wanted to give up… They didn’t become these huge kid superheroes who weren’t afraid of anything. I loved seeing where the story was going and the only frustrating part is that K2 had read it before and knew what happens… and she wouldn’t pass any info onto me… I had to wait to find out for myself. If you have a kid who loves Disney, mysteries, a little sci-fi have them read this book…. But beware there are a few bits that get a bit scary for younger kids. I know the next time I go to Disney World or Disneyland, I will think twice before riding Pirates of the Caribbean or asking Maleficent for her autograph… A

3) The Silver City by Cliff McNish – This was another YA book… highly recommended by K2. I read the first in the series last month and liked it. But I have to say this one was much, much better. The story is initially about 6 kids who are drawn to Coldharbour where they begin to undergo physical and/or mental changes. They can all hear this “Roar” in their heads and while they don’t know what it is, they know it is not good and they are meant to face it. In this second book, children from all over the world start arriving at Coldharbour. They are all drawn to it now – it is so they can be protected against the “Roar”. Most of these children do now undergo any changes however, a few do including Milo’s little sister, Jenny, and a large group of kids who become the “Unearthers”. In this installment, we learn more about the “Roar” and about something that can help the children in their fight against her. A definite enthralling read… for kids who like sci-fi. This is one of K2’s favorite authors… however, whenever she reads one of his books, she always asks… “I wonder why he likes to torture kids.” I told her she needs to write him a letter and ask him that question… A

4) Plum Lovin’ by Janet Evanovich – This is a Stephanie Plum “shortie” without hunky Morelli or steamy hot Ranger. Instead, we are reintroduced to Diesel (from an earlier shortie). Stephanie needs to capture a bond jumper, Annie Hart, however, Diesel has her locked up under protective custody and he needs Stephanie’s help in working Annie’s caseload of lovelorn clients before Valentine’s Day. I love reading the numbered Plum books, simply because they are laugh out loud funny. This one had it’s moments of humor but it wasn’t quite up to par of the “numbers”. The story-line was far-fetched and just made you go “Huh?” I loved seeing Grandma Mazur and Lula… I missed Ranger and Morelli. I know lots of people have issues with Stephanie and her not choosing Morelli or Ranger and in fact, she is the perfect example of “having her cake and eating it too.” And for some reason, I don’t mind that as much. I guess because I am a Ranger fan and I am afraid that Stephanie will end up with Morelli and when that happens… Good-bye, Ranger. But even I think that Stephanie really doesn’t need another man “clouding” up her life. This was a quick easy read but I would recommend getting it from the library. In my opinion, it is not worth the hardcover price…B

5) How to Marry a Ghost by Hope McIntyre – Lee Bartholomew is a British ghostwriter in the Hamptons to attend her mother’s commitment ceremony (her mom is still married to her dad so no wedding for her). While she is in the Hamptons, Lee is hoping to connect with famous British rock musician, Shotgun Marriot, and ghostwrite his autobiography. However, Lee’s biggest competition is there as well trying to score the same book. The mystery begins when Shotgun’s son is found washed up on shore dead from a bullet and another body is found on Shotgun’s land. Lee finds herself caught up in the mystery because of the players involved. Her investigation of it almost leads to her own death. The story was good but I had such problems with it whenever Lee’s former fiancée was mentioned and later shows up. It was during these times that she came across as WEAK and I wanted to reach thru the book and slap her. I didn’t know when I was reading it that this is actually the second book to involve this character. I liked this one enough to read more of this author but since the first one will contain the story of Lee and her fiancée, I am almost tempted not to read it. Although knowing how the second book ends maybe I can suffer thru those parts…. B+

6) Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris – This is the second in the Sookie Stackhouse – Southern Vampire series. In this one, Sookie is asked to help out the Dallas vampires locate a missing “brother”. Sookie agrees but on the condition that those humans that she indicates as responsible are let go unharmed. In this story, Sookie gets introduced to members of the “Fellowship of the Sun”… those who would like to see vampires meet their death in the sunshine. The mystery is quite good and definitely held my attention. I actually liked this one better than the first but this one we already knew the characters… there was no back story that had to be built that interfered with the mystery and the story. Ms. Harris was able to get right to it…. A

7) Don’t Look Down by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer – Lucy Sullivan is a director of television commercials who has to step in and finish and action movie (only 4 days left of filming) because the director died. But she arrives only to discover more problems and some of the staff acting weird (including her sister and her ex-husband). And to make matters worse(??), the lead actor has just hired a “military consultant” who has the aggravating habit of always being right. Lucy tries to solve the mystery only to discover that the rest of the movie scenes are being filmed to cover a money laundering scheme. I have to say that I wasn’t very impressed with this book. I hate romances (is this even one?) where the couple meet and fall in love in a matter of days… in this case, 4 days. Top that off with the hero, JT, having sex his first night on set with an actress. He now has 3 days to “fall in love” with Lucy. I found the story too fast pace, confusing and dull. The ending was convoluted. I have heard such great things about Crusie (but have only read one of her books). I will give another collaboration between these two another try hoping that they just needed to get used to each other’s style of writing. But I definitely won’t be buying it… it will come from the library just like this one did…. C

8) Causing Havoc by Lori Foster – Ultimate fighter, Dean “Havoc” Conor returns to Kentucky to meet with his sisters that he hasn’t seen since he was 8 years old. While trying to figure out how he fits into his sister’s lives and solving the mystery of who wants him gone, Dean meets Eve. I liked this book up until the end. The sister’s fiancée was a prick throughout the whole book, even so far as hitting on his fiancées best friend. Then all of a sudden at the end all is forgiven. The ending drove me nuts!… B

9) Rumble on the Bayou by Jana Deleon – All starts to go wrong the day Deputy Dorie Berenger finds an alligator stoned in a swimming pool. When she sends a print off the finger she found in the gator’s mouth, the DEA arrives in town, in the shape of Richard Starke. This fast easy read had a little bit of everything… romance, mystery, and danger. Dorie is a kick ass heroine that is smart and confident as well as sexy. While Richard is a hero that starts off as Mr. Macho but learns to lighten up and make fun of himself as well as accept it from others - Dick. He allowed Dorie to be the strong woman she was and didn’t mind being in her shadow in certain areas… there was none of this, “I am the man… I am strong… You are the weak female.” I loved the two of them together. Plus, the secondary characters were interesting and lovable…great characters all around. I will definitely read her next book…. A

10) Make Me a Match by Diana Holquist – Cecilia is an anal cardiologist who just happens to be a (former) gypsy. All is finally going well in her life (career, fiancée, etc) when her gypsy sister, Amy, reappears in her life after 10 years. Amy’s power as a gypsy is the ability to tell people who their One True Love is. Amy knows that Cecilia is engaged to the wrong man since her one true love is Finn Concord. There is an elaborate set-up that Amy put in play to get Cecilia to meet Finn. And the story progresses from there…but why is Amy so dead set on getting her sister together with this man? The thing that you will soon discover is that Amy doesn’t do anything for anyone unless there is something in it for her. The story was a bit far-fetched but a new twist on an old theme (gypsys) and if you consider it a paranormal due to the “powers” part of it then you almost always have to suspend beliefs to enjoy them. My biggest problem with this story is how mean Amy was to Cecilia… and yet Cecilia let her get away with it. However, despite my one complaint about the book, I will definitely read the next one in this series that brings yet another sister into play (one that neither Amy nor Cecilia have seen in 10 years also)… B+

11) Midnight Angel by Lisa Marie Rice – This is the third in the series and involves the characters of Allegra, an Irish singer and harpist, and Douglas, a former SEAL who is now a business partner of John “Midnight” Huntington. Allegra is blind from an attack by her former manager and Douglas saves her when she is in the wrong place at the wrong time. This book definitely falls under the category of SENSUAL romance ( I wouldn’t go so far as to label it erotica). But out of the three stories, this one was my favorite. While there was a lot of action (both in and out of the bedroom), there was more tenderness to the hero. And while he also fell under the He-Man syndrome, Douglas also knew that in order for Allegra to cope with her blindness she would need to learn to fend for herself so he begins to teach her ways to become more self-reliant. I hated how short and abrupt the ending was… I read all the way thru the book leading to this big story of someone stalking her but her friends all thinking she was suffering from “flashbacks” and then POOF! Story is done… bad guy makes his move… hero comes in to save the day… gets injured in the process… and 6 months later we revisit them. I wish the author had taken more time to flesh out the whole ending scenario…. B+

4 comments:

Janet Webb said...

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=6090

Such a coincidence: All About Romance just reviewed Rapture in Death -- it is really, imo, one of the best in the series. And smart you to slow down the reading process - - it's a terrific set of stories and why kill the goose that laid the golden egg by running through them too fast?

Anonymous said...

DLD - read Jen Crusie's Bet Me. It's my FAVORITE!!! I couldn't get into Don't look down.

Didn't enjoy Plum Lovin' either.

I'm a JD Robb addict so you know my views on most of her books.. have had issues with some of them, including the latest.

Have Causing Havoc and How to marry a ghost... haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Currently doing a re-read of Laurie R. King's Holmes/Russell books. Should read the library pile.

S.

emily said...

... and you say you're not a book critic! you're selling yourself short - i loved reading your reviews... in face, i'm going to try a couple of the books you reviewed, because they caught my attention... i wonder if i can borrow someone's kid to read "the kingdom keepers" with - that sounds really good! =o)

Janet Webb said...

ITA with Emily -- I like your reviews so much: you give me the information I'm looking for to help me decide whether or not a book is worth reading! Plus I envy anyone who can figure out how to post picture links on the net :)