Quote of the Day

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Did I Really Need Anymore Books???

Apparently I have a book addiction... and I don't think it is necessarily a reading addiction...just a simple book addiction... I have to browse, whether it be a bookstore or on-line. It doesn't matter, I just love to read the backs of books and try to imagine the story.

I have many sources for obtaining books. First, I have some pretty great friends who have sent me lots... did I mention LOTS... of books. I am beginning to feel bad because I haven't read half of what they sent... I plan to as all the books sent have interested me. BUT there they sit in my TBR pile. When I look upon it, I begin to feel guilty that these books could've gone to someone else who may have gotten around to reading them sooner... say this year, perhaps! Having mentioned my friends, I also live in a large suburban area with a fantastic inter-library loan system. Most books that I hear mentioned are available thru my library or one of its affiliates with the exception being books from fairly new authors. So with these two fantastic sources of books, will someone please explain to me why I felt the need to buy some more today... some? How about 10???

I actually was able to get some down time at Barnes & Noble today. I browsed for a bit, saw a couple of interesting ones, and then had lunch at their cafe and started to read a book that was in my purse. Fantastic time! I am usually pretty safe at B&N... I really, really have to want a book in order to buy it there. In fact, the most books I end up buying there tend to be for the kids. However, on my way home I decided to stop in at Half Price Books to see if there was anything for Grams. Now while it is true that I picked up a couple for her, most of the ones that I bought were for myself. I was like an addict and Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" wasn't working. Here is what I bought today (and truth be told, I did put a couple back on the shelf): The Pact by Jodi Picoult, Dead Sexy by Amanda Ashley (had just seen this as a new release at B&N), Make Me a Match by Diana Holquist, The Sunday List of Dreams by Kris Radish, Luscious Craving by Cameron Dean, Eternal Hunger by Cameron Dean (but those have to wait until I can find the first one, Passionate Thirst), The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, and three for Grams, Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (it was $1.00!!), The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini (hey, quilting...old ladies... figured it had to be safe!), and Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston (this one I might try to read before I send it out... but dang, she may never get it then!).

So my TBR pile has just gotten considerably larger and while I am reading so much more than I was last year, I still don't know when I am going to get around to them! And hey, if anyone is interested in reading any of these after I'm done, let me know and I will be happy to forward them on... you should count on getting them by July 2012.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ME!! ME!!! ME!!!!

Whenever you're finished - no rush :)

Happy to return them or pass them on.

S.

Diana Holquist said...

Hey DTP,

Just got a google alert that you mentioned my book...and since I'm procrastinating like mad today, I thought I'd drop you a note to say thanks.

Hope you like it!

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming Oct. 07
http://www.gypsypsychic.blogspot.com

DTF said...

Well dang, Diana, now I am moving that one to the top of the pile! I will definitely let you know how it is!

And farmwife I will be happy to forward them on but don't count on it being any time soon... well, except for Make Me a Match. That one is going to be read next!

:)