Quote of the Day

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My Book Store Trip...

The kids are home from school today because of the cold weather...quite stupid is you ask me. If they were going to cancel school, yesterday was the day that it should've been canceled...however, our school district was only 1 of about 3 that were open. The rest of them in the surrounding 5 counties were closed. Temps were -2 for a high and windchills were -30. Plus, did I mention that the buses were running 20-30 min late...yeah, I was not a happy camper yesterday. I seriously think that they canceled school today to make up for yesterday (although there are quite a few schools canceled today as well). My guess is that they received lots of phone calls from irate parents. For me, it doesn't really matter all that much... my kids get to watch for the bus from inside the house... our back door offers a nice view of the road that the bus comes down. So really they are not outside for very long.

Since I had to go outside to take K2 to a friend's house, I decided to make the most of it and hit some bookstores. First stop was B&N... I had to get my Chai after all. I mostly looked around...I thought the new Lori Foster book was out today but didn't see it. Then I found two of the Darcy books, Mr. Darcy's Daughters and Exploits and Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy on the clearance rack. I had been looking at them at Target but instead was able to buy them both for under $5.00 each... not bad.

I am also on the hunt for some books for a woman in England. She very kindly offered to buy a book that my K2 desperately wants but isn't published here in the States yet. All she asked in return was the same kindness. No problem! I love book shopping and seriously don't need to buy any more for myself. So shopping for someone else... that I can do! I found a few of the titles on her list but decided I would stop at Half Price books on the way home.

I ended my B&N shopping trip with a sandwich and Chai latte in their cafe... very nice...no kids...some seriously needed quiet time!

My next stop was Half Price books. I found a few more titles from A's list but picked up the two that I have not been able to find new in the stores... they are older and are probably special order ones. I also found a book that Farmwifetwo mentioned on her blog, Rumble on the Bayou. It seemed interesting and since I didn't have to pay the new book price, I grabbed that one too. Plus, I took a small bag of books, mostly children ones, in to sell to them. I was offered $8 for what I took in and was pleased with that. So my shopping trip here only cost me $1.15.

So three books for me... two to send out to a British friend... a good day.



2 comments:

Janet Webb said...

Envy envy: book store shopping! I have my whole weekend planned around going an hour north to my fave UBS, hopefully I'll get lucky. DH out of town on biz and then a surprize trip to see DD so I have 5 whole days to myself :) :)

Anonymous said...

Going UBS shopping in a couple of weeks and going to meet Ramblings on Romance.

YIPPEEEE!!!.. Going even if little boy has the pox... his babysitter can come and stay.

As for schools closed - Lemon Stand and I have the same deep freeze... ours never closed.

S.