Quote of the Day

Monday, February 26, 2007

I Gave up on a Book

I have been trying to read one author's sequel to Pride and Prejudice... Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife, however, it has just not been working for me. I don't normally read historicals... I used to when I was much, much younger but just stopped. They all seemed to be the same and I tended to get lost in the dialogue. Plus, there were so many times when I just wanted to slap the heroine even though the way they were acting would've been normal for that time period. However, I LOVE Pride and Prejudice and thought I would give the "sequel" a try seeing as how I already know the characters. But I was barely 60 pages into it and I finally said enough. It starts off fine... Darcy and Lizzie finally consumate their relationship (WooHoo! and thank gawd, considering they are married)... however, so far that is all they do! There is no interaction like they had in P&P... no feistiness... They go at it like rabbits (even in the coach on the way to Pemberley) and that is all that we have seen of them so far. New characters are being introduced but so far they bore me. Old characters revisit and their scenes (which occur as flashbacks) have been humorous, especially when Lydia advises her sisters on what to expect on their wedding night. But the story was dragging... I had read mixed reviews and maybe it gets better but I just don't have the time to devote to it right now so I am putting it off to a later date... like when I am stuck in the van driving to a camping destination and I have nothing else to read. The copy I have is from the library so back it goes tomorrow. I plan on hunting on-line and UBS for a cheap copy... if I find one I will buy it to have on hand (same goes for Darcy and Elizabeth: Days and Nights at Pemberly) but until I find it cheap, I am not investing the money in it.

2 comments:

SINFUL said...

Isn't that the best thing about library books - NOT having to finish them?

So you don't like rabbits huh?

DTF said...

Absolutely, Sin... no guilt that way!

As for rabbits, I like them just fine... ;)