Quote of the Day

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Wow! What a Week!!

Last week Friday, I was talking to a friend that I had a lot to post on here but as normally happens I got busy. At the last moment, we decided to drive down to Chicago on Saturday to visit the Museum of Science and Industry to see a special exhibit... but that will get its own post and you can see if I am a horrible parent. I honestly don't know what happened to Sunday... I can't even remember back that far except that I returned to work after being off for a week.

It was during the middle of the night while at work that I first noticed that I was getting sick. It simply started with a dry cough, more irritating than anything, at first. It wasn't until I woke up after only a few hours of sleep on Monday that I noticed that whatever I had was getting worse. I now had a fever... the cough hurt my chest, like being scraped with sharp knives... my head hurt anytime I went vertical... I spent most of the rest of the day on the couch laying down. I took some Advil around 6:00 and seemed to improve enough to go to work that night... bad, stupid, dumb mistake.

On Tuesday, I slept again for a few hours and then was up and down the rest of the day. My body alternated between freezing and boiling except for my eyes which seemed as though they were sitting inside an oven. I took my temp a few times during the day and watched my temp steadily rise... to the highest at 102.7. J kept fluids coming at me because my body hurt so much he was afraid that I was getting dehydrated (I didn't do a great job of drinking when I was home alone). I continually slept in fits throughout the day and night and into Wednesday as well. It wasn't 'til about 3:00p.m. on Wednesday that I think my body felt as if it had slept enough. My temp had finally started to go down and was now below 100. I even ate something for the first time in 40 hours. I did end up calling in sick to work on Wednesday...J threatened earlier in the day that if I didn't, I would suffer my first case of spousal abuse... not trying to make light on a serious subject... but I think he meant it. He thinks the reason I got so bad was caused by me going into work on Monday night.

Now that the fever has completely gone, my body is trying to expel all the crap that developed from this virus/flu/whatever... If I can cough it up or sneeze it out... it is coming out. My sinuses are plugged... can't hear a damn thing (which you'd think would be nice but I just find it irritating). I am still taking Advil to help with the pain in my head (assuming it is sinus related but I have no sinus meds on hand to help with that... and isn't that the stuff that you now need to get from the pharmacist directly???) So I am up walking again... I even did some laundry today and made a great dinner and enjoyed it... well, as much as I could with limited taste buds working. And... get this... I even picked up my fitness program again... I know... WTF???? But there are reasons for that and I believe I will do a separate post for that one too... :)

So to those of you who sent me well wishes... Thanks so much!!! While I am not 100% yet, I am at least on the road to getting there. Now if I could just find the time to get all the blog posts done that I want to do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you 've turned the corner DTF! I was worried.

Take care!

Love ya,

Sin

emily said...

welcome back!! you've been missed... i'm glad to hear you're feeling better!