Quote of the Day

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rev Report...

Alden posted his Rev Report today on the BB... I finally had something to say. For too long, I have been struggling trying to figure out what it is going to take for me to get moving in the right direction. I started off so good... lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Then I had a bad spell for parts of December and most of January... finally got my butt back into gear towards the end of January and worked at it... but the weight wasn't coming off like it was earlier. I worked and worked and still nothing... I got frustrated... lost focus and quit working so hard. Then I really hit a downer period in March where I was trying to work out and my brain wasn't co-operating. I got some good advice from some and tried to work at what I liked, namely Abs and walks. That was doing just enough to keep me from falling any further behind. But I certainly wasn't going to see results doing that. But I told myself that was okay...

When I started this yes, I wanted to lose weight and I wanted to become healthier and extend my life... I wanted to be able to play with my kids without getting winded... I wanted to live to see my grandchildren. But when I started exercising along with the weight loss, I also noticed that I had more energy, I felt strong and I was walking taller, straighter... When I stopped exercising, I lost all that. At one time I even had muscles in my butt!!! Who'd a thunk it??? But I lost that.

Getting sick last week reminded me of all that I lost when I stopped exercising... I kept telling myself before that I wasn't in it just to lose weight but I think I was lying to myself. If that wasn't the case, then why was it so easy to just stop and give up? I lost sight of everything else that I was gaining by exercising. I lost that feeling of muscles... I lost that energy... I lost that posture I was acquiring... and I was losing ground in the weight loss by putting some of it back on. When I got so sick, I found myself wondering if I would've been that bad had I been exercising throughout... maybe... maybe not... By getting sick, I was given a reprieve... my weight dropped back to my lowest point. I could start again... pick it all back up... wipe the slate clean and begin again. But first I had to answer some questions...

What was I fighting for this time? Was it just to lose weight? Because what was going to happen if I hit a plateau again or worse yet.. if I failed to go any lower than where I currently was... Was I going to give up again? In order to succeed this time, I need to make sure that it is about more than just watching the numbers lower. What about the 30 lbs that I already lost? Aren't those pounds worth fighting for? What if I never lose another pound? Thirty pounds is still something to celebrate... that is three 10 lb bags of potatoes that I am no longer carrying around... do I really want to add that to my load again? NO!

What about that energy level I had when I was exercising? Wasn't it nice to walk up and down the stairs and not be winded? I could actually come home from work and still manage to stay awake until after K3 left for school... now it is all I can do to make it til she wakes up. I am tired all the time... whether I worked the night before or not... I want that energy level again.

What about the muscle tone I was getting? I could actually see results in my arms... my legs and yes, even my butt... I, who can't remember the last time she could actually feel muscles on her body... had some muscle definition going on. I want that again!

So what's it going to take on my part... I need to commit to exercising... no excuses this time... No depressions/plateaus/brick walls can stop my progress. Now that doesn't mean that I need to become an exercise fiend... but I do have to put out an honest effort if I expect to see results. I need to do the BodyRev on a regular basis... Ideally, legs and arms 3-4 times a week, abs 5 times a week and hopefully cardio 2 times a week. All this needs to be supplemented with walking... bike riding (if it ever gets warm here!) and other strength exercises as suggested by my sparkpeople plan.

I also need to continue to log my food intake ( I am not posting it regularly here anymore... too hard trying to capture the image... but it is being done on my sparks page). I am not going to worry about tying in my mood to the food but I do NEED to continue to log the food... everyday!

So let's see where this goes this time... I WANT to succeed... I think that I am worth fighting for... and if I don't fight for myself... no one will do it for me.

No comments: