Quote of the Day

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Conversations in our House lately...

The Jeans -
J to me... "Why would you let your son buy a pair of pants with holes in them?"

Me: "I wasn't the one buying them. It was his money. The holes weren't inappropriately placed."

K1 received a few GC to Kohl's for his birthday. He bought a few t-shirts, a new belt and a pair of jeans. The jeans in question are Levi's 527...

For me the main consideration in not allowing certain clothing, is any part of it indecent. I didn't think these were ... even the holes near the pockets have material under them. When K1 wanted to buy them, I told him that he needed to know and understand that they would NOT be worn to, at or from school. That leaves only after school or weekends. He said he was fine with that. I also told him they may not last as long since they already had holes... they could easily be caught on something else and ripped further... and if any of those tears became inappropriate, they would not be worn at all. HE agreed to all my terms and still wanted to buy them... no matter the cost. The little shit got lucky though and they were on clearance for $14 (why is it the stuff that I want to buy is never on clearance?) So J is miffed that I allowed K1 to buy the pants. I figure that it is a lesson to him on spending his money (which he is normally pretty tight with). To spend... 30, 40 or 50 dollars (or in this case $14) on a pair of jeans that may not last long... I wouldn't do it but he needs to figure that out on his own. If I tell him no, it will only make them more attractive. Was I wrong? Who knows... we'll find out. And if I was... it's not life or death related... we will all survive the JEANS.

Vacation:
It's pretty late to start planning but if we are doing a vacation this year... we really need to decide now. I was toying with the idea of going to Kentucky and Tennessee to do Mammoth Caves and The Smokies but while researching them in a National Parks book, I came across my new hot idea... Acadia National Park in Maine! Out of all the traveling I have done as a kid, I have never been up in the New England states.The kids like the idea too. K2... "Cool! Then I can eat lobster!" I think we will hit Niagra Falls on the way there... and maybe drive down to Boston or Cape Cod. Then on the way home hit Cedar Point in Ohio, the home of my very first roller coaster, The Corkscrew and K1 says there's one he wants me to try with him(something about tallest, fastest, spiral... ). Our travels would take us up thru Detroit over to Canada...which the kids think will be cool. K2... "I've never been to a foreign country before." and K3..."Will they let us cross the border? Don't we need special permission?" There's still alot of pre-planning to do before we start to make any decisions but we need to do it soon.

Picking classes for next year...
K1 had to pick his classes for freshman year in January while K2 just had to pick her electives last week. On their schedules for next year, both are taking Latin and continuing with band (K1 will have Marching band and Pep band for the first time!) Also, joining them next year will be K3 as she will finally be able to join band in 4th grade. Her big decision will be what instrument to play. We already have a French Horn (K1) and an oboe (K2) and it doesn't help that K1, K2 and especially J are all telling K3 what she should do. I think she should choose whichever seems the most interesting to her. It's not like she can't change her mind 1/2 way thru the year or even the next year.

J is working on the taxes, trying to get them mailed out (and it's not like we even have to pay... We are getting a REFUND for cripe's sake! Can you spell P-R-O-C-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-I-O-N???? I am trying to figure out my work situation... I need something daytime... the store will let me move to days but there are things to consider with that... work when the kids are at school but every other weekend? Or no weekends but a 6:00 a.m. start time on the weekdays. Plus, I have been in contact with a fellow BB member about the possibility of going to work for her as an assistant, but I don't want to say more on that until something more happens with it. We haven't talked details yet...just the generalities. But as far as the kids and school, etc. goes... it sounds perfect!

That's about it around here... not a whole lot going on... just another week at our house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent you an email... want to come and visit...?? If you go across the 401 from Detroit to NFalls you pass our house.

Are you camping?? If you stay over you can either bunk in the house or camp in the woods or in the yard. We can come up with more tents if you aren't camping... just borrow from the neighbors (family :) )

If you go around.. my parents live near Niagara Falls.

Sheri

Janet Webb said...

I had to laugh at what your dh said, it sounded SO much like my house :) How come it's "your son" when he doesn't like the decision ... yep, I've definitely heard that one!

P.S. I'm not prepared to put on the open net the ratio between what your son spent for ripped jeans (his OWN $$) and what my husband spent on my daughter's ripped jeans but trust me, it ain't pretty!

Anonymous said...

Nice K1...$14?!?!?!? I am jealous...and I LOVE Cedar Point...LOVE IT...except for the Magnum...nOpE...shakes in pure undiluted terror...NEVEr again!