Quote of the Day

Friday, April 13, 2007

Just another day...

We had a nice, quiet day today... no late night rush to the ER. :) I woke K1 up this morning to see how his hand was doing. He had taken the wrap off sometime during the night and seemed to be doing much better... he could now bend his fingers and the swelling was almost completely gone. We decided not to visit his pediatrician today since it looked like everything was back to normal. It is strange what happened.... J mentioned to me this a.m. that the one thing no one mentioned (although Sin did here on my blog) was a bug bite. I suppose that's what it could've been but it has been so cold here for the last week and a half... I haven't seem many spiders or such around. But whatever it was seems to have cleared up.

Many of you probably thought I was psycho to run away with the idea of the blood clot but once you know someone who died that way... the image is hard to reject from your mind. My former sister-in-law lost her nephew this way. He had been in a slight accident where his leg was injured... they took care of him at the hospital, wrapped his leg and sent him home. That night he started to feel weak and lethargic and before the ambulance could arrive, he died in his dad's arms. He was 15. Whenever I hear of a child dying, the image stays with me... whether I knew them or not. I don't want it happening to me. So that is why when K1's hand went ice cold last night and the pain moved from his fingers to his hand to his mid-forearm, I knew I wanted to be at the hospital in case anything went further wrong. It was me being a worrisome mom.

But all is well today... thank gawd... and now we just wait for the ER bill. J and I were playing guessing games at how much it would be... he is guessing $2K... I don't think it will be quite that much but we haven't had an ER visit in 8 years so what do I know?

The rest of today was very uneventful... The girls cleared some books off their bookshelves and we took those in to Half Price Books today ($14 for a bag of children books... not bad!) Then we went to Barnes and Noble for lunch... I have missed my Turkey Chipotle sandwich this week! When we came home, K2 and I checked the internet for the nutrition info on what we ate... not bad and some not good. My iced tea is safe and the sandwich isn't bad... about 320 calories... but it is the dessert that got us... The girls split a Molten Chocolate Bundt cake (47o calories...but they shared it) and I thought I was getting a healthier choice with the Lemon Raspberry Square... HA! It was 420 calories!!!! And I didn't share mine... ouch!

When we came home, the temps were only in the 40's but the sun was shining... so I wanted to go for a walk and the girls joined me. We had a lovely hour walk down to a local pond... still too cold for the frogs though.

Then tonight after J came home and ate we went to Target... I needed a new bike helmet because I know it is going to warm up soon and I plan to be on my bike! Plus, we checked out bikes for K2... she claims she needs a new one and her birthday is coming up in June so maybe...

A nice quiet day...very, very enjoyable!

My 3 good things:
1. Turkey Chipotle Panini sandwich
2. K3 discovering a "waterfall" in the neighbor's drainage ditch
3. Sleeping in this a.m. after J left for work

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trip to the hospital. Cost - one Health Card....

#1 reason... I like it here.

I did buy extra insurace to go to see CO in CA... OHIP doesn't cover that.

S.

emily said...

i'm so glad your son is doing better - what a scare! i'd be exactly like you - bundling him up and rushing him to ER... just 'cause you never know... hopefully it won't keep him from video games for too long! =o)