Quote of the Day

Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Little Girl

On the topic of songs and soundtracks for a life, this song is one that I have heard on the radio for awhile but it wasn't until I saw the movie Flicka that I knew that this Tim McGraw song was meant for K3. Sure, it’s a song that could pertain to both of my girls but I’ll tell you why it fits perfect for her. First, read the words…

Gotta hold on easy as I let you go.
Gonna tell you how much I love you, though you think you already know.
I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm.
You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born.

Beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world.
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl.

When you were in trouble that crooked little smile could melt my heart of stone.
Now look at you, I've turned around and you've almost grown.
Sometimes you're asleep I whisper "I Love You!" in the moonlight at your door.
As I walk away, I hear you say, "Daddy Love You More!”

Beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world.
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl.

Someday, some boy will come and ask me for your hand.
But I won't say, "yes" to him unless I know, he's the half
That makes you whole; he has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man.
I know he'll say that he's in love.
But between you and me. He won't be good enough!

In the movie, Flicka, Katy and her dad were so much alike yet butt heads continuously. This is exactly like K3 and her dad. While K1 will just shut down and K2 will usually end up crying when their dad yells at them, K3 will fight back. She will be in his face (just like he is in hers) telling him right back why she’s not wrong but he is. She can list the reasons why she is right. (Hmmm… maybe I hear future lawyer here.) Oh, the fights they can have! They don’t happen often, but when they do…look out! I dread the clashes headed our way as she heads into her teenage years (and those are still 5 years off!).

Then there’s the line in the song about the little girl saying, “Love you more”. For years, when I have tucked K3 into bed at night, she has always said, “I love you most.” I can count on this. It used to drive her sister nuts but I know what K3 is saying and it isn’t that she loves me more than her brother or sister, but that she loves me the most that she can. And just that simple phrase, makes me smile deep whenever I hear it.

I think there’s a special bond that develops between a parent and the youngest. Now this doesn’t mean that I love any of my children more than the others but this bond is there all the same. There would be no more babies to hold after the last… no more little first discoveries. And whether or not you know that your baby is truly your last at the time it is happening, at some point you come to realize that this is indeed your last child and there will be no more. And whether by choice or not, it still is just a little heartbreaking to realize this is it. With the older kids, it is fascinating to watch them grow and explore and it is with the youngest as well. It’s just that while you’re excited for them at the same time you’re thinking this is it, this is the last time we will do this.

I can’t wait to watch and see the person that K3 develops into. I just hope that she discovers who she is and what it is that makes her happy and then sets the course for going after her dreams. But no matter where her life takes her, whether it is across the street or across the country, she is stuck being our baby. And she always will be… my little girl.



5 comments:

The Brigade said...

I got a thing about "last times". It started when I watched my stepdad go through his last year. That was his last trip on an airplane, his last time to drive a car, his last time to be outside - life narrows right down to nothing - literally.

Anyways - I want to know when it's the "last time" for EVERYTHING! - make sure it's memorable - or at the very least "remembered".

Sin

R&R said...

You made me cry. Nodding my head and crying. Just beautiful!

Janet Webb said...

Sin you're doing it for me today ... what a beautiful way to think about life: thanks!

And Carrie, you really crystallized for me what is so special about the "last" ... and I had never thought about her that way :)

DTF said...

It does come down to "last time" for everything, doesn't it? I guess we really should be living our lives as if it is the last... Kind of like the saying at the bottom of my blog... Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today.

Anonymous said...

And you know...I want my last time to be with the ones that love me no matter what.