Quote of the Day

Saturday, September 29, 2007

But It's a Dry Heat...

Surely you've heard that phrase before. My mom used to say it all the time when she would talk about moving to Arizona. People would always comment on the heat... to which my mom always replied, "But it's a DRY heat." Honestly, I don't see it... hot is HOT... dry or wet. Well, I can honestly say that I sound like my mom or at least am trying to. Nah, not about the heat but about the PAIN.

Yep, that's right... I said Pain. Remember my post from yesterday when I mentioned that my calves had woken up and we're firm and saying, "Hello, we're awake." Yeah, well about that... my legs are screaming today. Apparently doing step aerobics 3 days in a row after a summer of none was a bit too much. Then consider that I added BodyRev legs to the mix this morning, my legs are burning. It's not nearly as bad as when I first started exercising a year ago... then I couldn't even bend over far enough to tie my own shoes. No, I am not quite that bad (yet?). However, every move I made today... every step... was felt. And, lawd, going up and down stairs... all I can say is "Ouch!"

Today was a good day though despite the pain. Rather than sleep in I set the alarm and woke up at 6:30 (hey, whaddya know, that was sleeping in for me). I started with abs and moved onto step aerobics and after 20 minutes, BodyRev Legs was on the agenda. I had put it off for far too long.

I was thinking about what Alden said on the BB this week... specifically, the routine and enjoying it. Why is it so easy to do stairs? Simply said, it's the music. I am able to lose myself in the music for 5, 10, 15 minutes... the next thing I know is 30 minutes have passed. I began to think about what other things used to help me enjoy the routine. Of course, music, so I made sure to have my exercise playlist pumping out of the computer. I also burned some candles. I remember on those deep breathing techniques, inhaling the sweet scents of vanilla, cinnamon or citrus was so much better than the smell of my own sweat.

After I was done (which in total took less than an hour), I could feel my legs tightening up and started to think about why I am doing this and what I am getting out of it. Not long term as that is too easy... but what am I getting from it now... right this moment. First and foremost, is the energy increase. I am not a morning person and the couch calls to me. There are many days where I start the day as a slug. I move in slow motion and the brain processes are slow. But after exercising, I am jazzed up and ready to go and face the day. The couch no longer looks like a comfy place to finish sleeping. Now, I will take care of dishes or do some laundry before I head out the door (after a shower, of course). So you can also add the feeling of accomplishment to the immediate results. (There are other immediate results but I will save them for a later post.)

So yes, I may be hurting right now... "But it's a good hurt."

No comments: