Quote of the Day

Friday, May 4, 2007

It's Our Parties... We'll Cry if We Want To...

Do you remember that feeling when you were invited to a party as a kid and for whatever reason... you couldn't go? K2 and I are both suffering that right now. Her best friend's birthday party is next weekend and get this... the parents are taking 12(!!) girls down to Gurnee for the night and then spending the day at Six Flags Great America. Quite the party, hey? Well, months ago I decided to make arrangements to go camping (cabin NOT tent yet) for that same weekend. She is upset because she can't go. It's her BFF... it's THE birthday party of the year. It was even suggested to me by her BFF's mom that she could spend the weekend with them. Well, I said no to that one... call me cruel but we have not had a family weekend in what seems like forever. Plus, it's Mother's Day... it would be nice to have all my kids around... at least while I can still force them. So she is missing it and she is pretty upset about it.

Well, K2, I know exactly how you feel. Some ladies from the BB are planning another trip to Bad Frogs in June (or was it July?) and I can't go. Money is really tight right now and with gas prices soaring (3.27 as of yesterday), it is just out of reach. I told J that I even think we should either cancel our family vacation for August or scale back. So how do I tell my kids that we aren't doing the big vacation we talked about and then turn around and try to justify my going to another state to go to a bar. It doesn't work. So while she is missing her biggest party of the year... I will be doing the same. Sometimes life does suck and she is learning that and I am yet again reminded of it.

5 comments:

SINFUL said...

WHAT??

I was feeling mildly bad for K2 (and you) - I know how a mom hates to disappoint her kids, I know she thinks she's missing the best time ever - but little darling - family has to come first.

And I believe that whole-heartedly - that is until I read paragraph 2!!!

Oh, DTF - say it ain't so. You, more that anyone else, (and it delights me so) remember how old I'm getting . . . how many more opportunities will we have??? Please, please let me guilt you in to making this trip.

gingabread said...

And if she can't....then let me try and help her to guilt ya...is it working yet?

Now about now? But if you want to take that BIG family vacation here in NC...then come on! If not...goes back to trying to guilt ya more.

Is it working this time?

R&R said...

What if an FNG adds their whimper? Puhleeezzzeee!! *whimper* Is it working? I can give ya two... *whimper, whimper* No? Time for additional tactics...BUT I wanna meet you in person!! *whimper with impressive foot stomping - ouch* My gawd, woman, who will teach all us new grunts about duct tape??? You're a Brigade Legend! DUTY CALLS!!! No dice, huh?

*whimpering and scurrying away to devise new plan* Obviously the whimpering isn't working - probably annoying the crap outta you, too - they told me you were tough, but I'll be back ; )

emily said...

pssst... R&R... threaten to kidnap her... *grin* i know it e-scared-ed me a lot... lol

Janet Webb said...

Being together with friends is such a mental health boost that perhaps you could get your doctor to write your a prescription! For the good of her health, this fine upstanding wife and mum NEEDS to hang with the Brigade and their friends and relatives and get to try Chocolate Cake drinks and meet Adam's mum Susan and so on and so forth! Whadda ya think?