Quote of the Day

Friday, March 23, 2007

Losing a Child...

This year I have been to two movies in which a child in each of them dies. The first was The Bridge to Terrabithia. In that one, the young girl, Leslie, dies in a drowning accident. The second one was The Ultimate Gift where a young girl dies from leukemia. I am known to cry easily at sad movies but these hit me harder than any other. I just cannot even imagine losing a child. My mom did... she lost a daughter at only 9 months old. My sister who lived 3 years before I was born. The strange thing is that I never knew about her until I was 8 or 9 years old. That just blows my mind. Once she was buried, it was as though she never existed. My mom says she remembered her in her heart but I find that hard to believe. I grieve so differently from her.

Today I heard that a dear friend of mine is having to deal with the loss of a sweet child. Her great niece has become an angel at only 2 years old. My heart goes out to the my friend and the baby's parents, grandparents and other family. I cannot imagine what this must feel like and I hope I never have to find out. So even though I didn't know this little girl or her family (except for her great aunt) I find my heart breaking tonight that there is a mom out there who is crying over the loss of her little angel.

I found this poem online and thought it appropriate.

Tiny Angel

Tiny Angel rest your wings
sit with me for awhile.
How I long to hold your hand,
And see your tender smile.
Tiny Angel, look at me,
I want this image clear....
That I will forget your precious face
Is my biggest fear.
Tiny Angel can you tell me,
Why you have gone away?
You weren't here for very long....
Why is it, you couldn't stay?
Tiny Angel shook her head,
"These things I do not know....
But I do know that you love me,
And that I love you so".

Author Unknown


C, I am thinking of you and keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

1 comment:

Janet Webb said...

What a precious poem Carrie ... the fear of forgetting -- how terrifying!

Thank you for posting this.