Quote of the Day

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Book Chicks

The first meeting of the Book Chicks was a resounding success!

What is the Book Chicks you ask??? It is a new book club K2 started up with her friends. This month they read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. It is a very serious YA book about two boys who become friends, one who is the son of an officer presiding over a concentration camp and a young boy who is imprisoned within the camp.

K2 is a voracious reader and most of her friends are too. A month or so ago I had a book out from the library called the Mother-Daughter Book Club. K2 and I talked about book clubs and she decided she wanted to start one with her friends. I told her I would help her but that I wouldn't be responsible for all the work. So she had taken care of creating the notices (they were cute too!) and setting the date and time and picking the book.

Tonight they met at a local B&N cafe...ordered their strawberry lemonades and spent an hour chatting about the book. All in all a successful first meeting. Their next book is Darkhenge by Catherine Fisher picked by another member of the group.

2 comments:

Janet Webb said...

You must be the proudest mum in the universe: a book club! WOW ... they just rock ... get her to get in touch if they ever want to do a time capsule to some older books that are just fantastic but I'll tell you: all three of my kids are so hooked on reading nothing could break the habit and nothing makes me prouder :) Great mum you!!!

Lemon Stand said...

This is such a GREAT idea. My kids want to start one now that I have told them about yours!